Fresh & Creamy Lemon icing (or frosting)

It's been a hectic 2 weeks with me coming over from Greece back to Holland, preparing and baking for the 4-day Sail event in Amsterdam for roughly 150 people. So I'm a day late with posting and my head is still so full I can barely keep up with anything. Please bear with me while I'm still buzzing.


After those few days of baking, I realized I got one request over and over again - how do you make the lemon icing? The whole family kept stealing spoons of icing, demanding to have the leftover cake or just smearing it on strawberries and eating it as is. Well, fine, here you have it: lemon icing à la Siv!

Lemon Icing

1 tablespoon (15 grams) fresh lemon juice
120 grams powdered sugar
1-2 teaspoons (6-12 grams) butter

1. Mix all ingredients together with a fork until a smooth paste forms.
2. Spread on your cake or cupcakes as soon as possible, while the icing is still soft and easy to spread.

A few notes:
* The more butter you use the more creamy the aftertaste will be. If you use less butter, you will have a more tangy, lemon-y aftertaste. The difference between 1 and 2 teaspoons is hard to discern though. I found this ratio to be perfect for me, but you can add more or less butter according to your own taste.
* For the lemon juice - please buy fresh lemons and juice them on the spot. It makes such a difference, since almost all the flavour (apart from the sweetness and creamy-ness) comes from the juice. Also - you can substitute lemon juice for almost any other juice or even milk and vanilla for a plain flavour.
* It's possible, especially if you try adding more butter or juice, that the icing will start to separate. Water (juice) and oil (butter) don't really mix, so you need the sugar to bind the two together. So if your icing starts separating: keep adding sugar until it all comes back together. (It will, I promise!)


The thing I like about this icing is that it's not as heavy and buttery as a buttercream, yet still has the creamy taste to it. It doesn't dry out completely like a lemon-sugar icing does, but instead it stays a bit soft on the inside. The added butter also cuts of the most tangy part of the lemon, leaving you with both that fresh and the creamy feeling. Also, with the addition of that bit of butter I can now spread a thick layer of icing on my cakes! *woot!*

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!  

Don't forget!
...to leave a comment below (like - do you know the difference between icing and frosting?!!), follow me on Facebook or Twitter and/or come back next Thursday for a new recipe! 

Comments