An unexpected combo - Pumpkin bread

Not everything in life goes as planned. 

I really wanted to write something on another sauce or condiment - I had my mom's killer-pesto in mind which she serves almost every weekend now. And I wanted to rant about Oktoberfest, through a recipe of the famous German pretzels. But my final batch pretzels failed since I was too busy to pay attention and as for the pesto - we simply ate it.


Which kind of left me writing about something that may not have been my intention but is currently all over my mind - Pumpkins. PUMPKINS! It's autumn: I must bake with pumpkins!! It's been colder for a while now, but finally the feeling hit me: it's autumn, we're heading into winter, it's nearly Christmas. I tried to explain it to my mom. She just looked at me funny. I tried explaining it again:

"MUST BAKE WITH CINNAMON SPICES!!!!"

My mom thinks I go through phases - in summer I have a strawberry phase apparently. We've already ran out of the plum and then the apple phase: all our trees are now empty. We're heading into the cinnamon phase. Oh, and those lovely pears!


Cinnamon & Pumpkin. You try explaining how that's not a deadly combo.
Actually, I have to confess I didn't know pumpkin bread existed until Elizabeth enlightened me in one of her amazing posts. Can you forgive me?

Pumpkin bread
1 large loaf* - adapted from SimplyRecipes

1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 heaped teaspoons spice mix
115 grams butter
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon apple butter or molasses
zest of 1 orange
1 cup walnuts and raisins

1. Combine the dry ingredients.
2. Melt the butter. Add the eggs, pumpkin water and apple sauce and mix until smooth. 
3. Add the dry ingredients, orange zest, walnuts and raisins and stir until just combined.
4. Bake in an oven at 180 degrees Celsius or 360 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-40 minutes*.

* I filled two smaller brownie tins, which should make up one large loaf. The baking time will change though: the brownie tins took only 28 minutes in my case, but a loaf could take up to 50 minutes depending on your oven.

I have a feeling the Germans don't have a lot of pumpkin bread going on. But anyway, did you know they're (almost done) celebrating Oktoberfest there? We have a version here too, but it only lasts one weekend. The German Oktoberfest lasts roughly 16 days. This year it takes place from 20 September till 5 October. It's the worlds largest fair. Although the festival is mainly known for the beer and women in traditional outfits (dirndl's), Oktoberfest is surprisingly kids friendly. It's one gigantic amusement park, fair, marketplace and party-house for little over 2 weeks.


I really hope you enjoyed a quick break from all the sauces. Honestly, we can't have enough pumpkin recipes. Next week I'll be back to the condiments with one last recipe and a roundup! And after that - oh, it's almost Christmas! And Halloween, Thanksgiving, the Day of the Dead, Saint Nicholas, Hanukkah. Definitely the best time of the year!

Comments

  1. My husband was actually over in Germany a week or so ago, right as Oktoberfest was kicking in - sadly, he was booked practically 'round the clock with travel, meetings, etc. - and didn't get to have one bit of Oktoberfest fun! Ah, well ... maybe next year! And while it may be true that Germans don't have much pumpkin bread, here in America, we looooove it! We for sure have a pumpkin phase (and I totally understand how you, as a food blogger, have phases according to whatever is most luscious and in season at the moment - lol)! This looks fabulous! :D ~Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's really too bad.. Hopefully you get to join next year as well then! ;) I'd love to go myself one day - it should be so much different from the one-weekend party we have here..
      And thank you so much! I really hope I get to share more pumpkin stuff soon, but most of me is already heading into Christmas now! o-O

      Delete

Post a Comment