American Ketchup from China

I really, really really really really, wanted to start a series on 5 famous sauces with mayonnaise. Perhaps it's not a staple sauce where you are, but over here practically everything is served with mayonnaise. We don't go for ketchup, we do mayonnaise. But for the life of me, I swear, I suck at making mayonnaise. I've made 3 batches. I tested different oils, different recipes and the consistency was perfect!

But the flavour was beyond horrid. It was like eating pure oil in a more solid state. It was inedible. But technically mayonnaise IS oil, so perhaps I did it all right and we're just not used to eating mayonnaise here anymore? (because actually, we never do.)

Is there anyone out there that can make mayonnaise? What kind of recipe do you use? And honestly: do you think I'm hopeless or just turned weird? Because I'd love to know..


Anyway, because of my lack of mayonnaise I just skipped straight to ketchup. Which is only one of the worlds most famous sauces ever and anywhere. It's made of tomatoes, so it's practically healthy as well.


Ketchup
makes 1 jar - Handboek Inmaken

1 kilo tomatoes (plus a little extra)
1/2-1 celery stalk*
3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons (raspberry) vinegar
a pinch of salt
1 small onion
6 cloves
4 allspice berries
6 peppercorns
1 twig rosemary
10 grams ginger

1. Pour boiling water over the tomatoes and leave them for a minute or two, or three, maybe four. Then take them out one by one and peel them. Slice them in four pieces and scoop out all the seeds - discard them for a different use.
2. Place the tomato flesh in a large pan together with the celery stalk, garlic, vinegar, sugar and salt.
3. Place the onion together with all the spices in a bag into the pan.
4. Bring everything to a boil, reduce the heat and leave to simmer for about 1 hour.
5. Remove the bag of spices and puree the sauce in the kitchen machine (you could consider using the onion as well).
6. Bring to a boil again and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Pour into sterilized jars. Once it has cooled down, store in the fridge.

* Preferably the soft bushy part on the inside.

Does this need any explaining? Ketchup is obviously an American thing, except that it totally wasn't invented there (what?). Ketchup comes from China, ended up in Malaysia, was brought home by English merchants and the English later generously shared it with the Americans. Surprise! But!! - this ketchup never actually included tomatoes. The first record of tomato ketchup comes from an 1801 cookbook from *drums* America. (see? I told you it was an American thing!) Even after that ketchup continued to evolve until in 1876 Heinz started producing tomato ketchup. After that, there was no ketchup like Heinz (I'm kidding, I'm kidding).


There's no ketchup like your own Homemade Ketchup. 

Especially since you can adjust it to however you like it - maybe you noticed my ketchup isn't as red as 'ketchup'. I like adding extra onions and celery to make a more savoury sort of ketchup, rather than the usual sweet versions. I also omitted the sugar, as my tomatoes are sweet enough by themselves.So technically if you follow the recipe you'll end up with a slightly different ketchup - do you feel mislead? - which will taste much more like the store-bought versions.


I always love the idea of ketchup but somehow always end up hating how sweet it is, is that weird? I can't be alone in thinking ketchup is too sweet...

..right?

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the recipe and you have a lovely AMAZING week!

Comments

  1. This is such a cool post! First of all, I love the recipe (totally pinning!) - I'm usually careful to buy natural or organic ketchups, but how much better to just make my own!?!? Also ... I definitely did not know of ketchup's globetrotting history! You always have the best fun facts! :D ~Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you get to try it! I realized now that making your own condiments is so easy and delicious, it's really worth going for home-made! And it's so rewarding when you can say you made it yourself!
      I'm really glad I'm able to share some useless/useful facts about food! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment