5-Minute Mustard (roughly.)

Delicious, home-made and done in 5 minutes. Oh, and not to forget extremely easy, versatile and delicious. Did I mention delicious? Or that it's home-made and you're in total control of all the yummy stuff you put into it? And that it's extremely easy and done in only 5 minutes?

Wait, did I mention it was mustard?

You would not believe how easy it is to make mustard. Nor will you believe how good it tastes. Quite frankly, I hope you won't read anything of all the rants I usually rant and just run to your kitchen to try it out. You've got nothing to loose here.


I really wanted to try it myself, so I compiled a perfect recipe and set to work. After it was done I asked my mom for an evaluation, but all I got was "Woah, it's good!". And then after I asked if it needed salt or sugar: "Yes, it's good". And then after I explained it might need more salt or sugar the answer was "Mhm, it's good. Oh no, no more salt, it's good". So far the helpfulness of parents, but on the bright side the mustard appears to be good! (I told you this already right?)


Personally I think it's a very strong mustard flavour, but I never eat mustard myself so what would I know? I just wanted to know if I could make it! (I needed some ego boost after all the mayonnaise fails..) And quite frankly, my mom ate nearly a quarter of the jar in one go, and has been using it over all the other mustards we own ever since. So I'm definitely making this again. It takes just 5 minutes to make if you don't include the 2 day waiting - why wouldn't I turn this much-used condiment into something deliciously home-made? (My ego has been restored!)

Mustard
1 small jar - inspired by Emeril, Lisa and Joanne

3 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
1/3 cup apple cider or white wine vinegar
1/3 cup water (or alcohol of choice*)
3/4 teaspoon salt

1. Add mustard and liquid ingredients to a bowl or jar and leave for 2 days at room temperature.
2. Add salt and process until coarse or smooth to your own preference. Add more salt, sugars (1ts), pepper (1/4ts) and any other ingredients of choice after you've processed the mustard. Taste in between so you can control the flavour!

*I've seen white wine a lot, but also sherry and beer.

Some of the optional ingredients include the sugar and pepper I mention in the recipe. But there is a whole range of other ingredients that are quite common: rosemary, thyme, shallot, garlic, honey, apple, maple syrup.. actually practically any herb or spice and even fruits and vegetables can be used in the mustard. Just go for something you think might work and quite frankly, with mustard being so versatile, it will probably work! 


My mustard used both yellow and brown seeds, but you could swop these around however you like. Remember that small brown mustard seeds are the most pungent in taste. Large brown seeds are less strong in flavour and yellow mustard seeds have the mildest flavour. If you like a strong, pungent mustard, go for more brown mustard seeds! For a milder flavour, use only yellow mustard seeds. 

Also, there's more to say about the recipe! For those of you in a hurry: it's possible to skip the 2 day soaking. However, you will need to process for a bit longer (say 5 minutes or more) and it might not taste as amazing. I haven't done this myself (although I will test this soon), but I've seen it mentioned a few times and I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Yup, that's all I've got to say about mustard. I'm skipping the history - it's too old to really make sense of when it was first used! I really hope you get the chance to make mustard yourself. If you ever use mustard I am sure you will appreciate a home-made version. No, I can guarantee it!

Comments

  1. I really love all different kinds of mustard, but I have to admit that I've never tried making it. Why??? I'm looking at this recipe (and how ridiculously easy it is to make fantastic homemade mustard in just moments!) ... and wondering why I've never done this??? Game on! Definitely pinning! Thanks for the inspiration to try something new! :D ~Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I thought once I stood in the kitchen with a jar of home-made mustard: "WHY did I not do this before?".. Definitely going to try different flavours soon! I'm glad I got to inspire you too! :D

      Delete
  2. I had no idea it was so easy to make mustard! I actually used to hate mustard, but as I've gotten older I now like it a little more--I'm still a bit of a mustard wimp, though! Making my own sounds like a fun way to really customize it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I just gave the most basic of basic recipes for mustard, so it's easier to substitute and make your own creatively delicious version! Actually, I wonder if disliking mustard when you're younger is a universal thing? I'm starting to appreciate it more, but definitely wouldn't ever think of using it just by myself :P

      Delete

Post a Comment