Toffee Sauce & Caramel Spread

It's nearly and almost Halloween! Which means there'll be caramel apples all over the place and I need to try caramel apples myself. But dipping a WHOLE apple into caramel seems like a whole lot of apple and not a lot of caramel, so I decided on apple chunks in caramel dipped into some topping.


It took me 2 weeks and several experiments to realize my idea does NOT work. It's nice, but the moisture of the apple doesn't work with the caramel. On the first try the caramel instantly hardened as soon as it touched my colder apple chunks. The second time the caramel never hardened and sort of melted and dripped off my apple. And, hell I don't even remember the 3rd, 4th and 5th all the way up to what? 7 times? So in the end I came up with this: a lovely toffee-caramel sauce I've known for a while, a chocolate sauce and apple chunks to go with it. Tadaa~ a Caramel, Chocolate & Apple fondue! I thought it was brilliant.

Caramel Sauce & Spread
1 small jar - inspired by SimplyRecipes among (lots of) others

1 cup sugar
1-2 tablespoons water (optional)
1/2 cup butter *
1/2 cup cream *
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

1. Put the sugar with the water in a non-stick pan and turn the heat on medium to high. Occasionally stir until the sugar has completely 'melted' and turned into the perfect caramel colour. A very light colour will give a sweet sugary taste and a dark colour will turn bitter or burnt. So keep an eye on your sugar!
2. Melt the butter into the cream and pour the liquid into the pan with caramel. Stir vigorously until it all comes together. Add the vanilla essence, stir again, and leave to cool depending on what you feel like.
3. Toffee Sauce: serve immediately!
4. Caramel Spread: leave to cool in the fridge for an hour or two.

 * Variate the amount of cream and butter depending on whether you want the caramel to become rockhard (omit altogether), knead- or spreadable (use more butter), or a sauce (only cream). The temperature you serve it at also makes a big difference!

I add the water at the start just so the sugar doesn't burn immediately. I've tried the 'dry' method before but it just doesn't work for me. If you're comfortable with it feel free to leave the water out! Another note: the caramel can be kept fine in the fridge for several weeks.


Yup, that was brilliant. I ate it all myself. Not that I had much of a choice though: everyone's gone off to Barcelona without me. (*gasp* how dare they?) I hope they remember to bring me some food..

Comments

  1. Beautiful caramel spread, would love to pour it on some ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's a brilliant idea! Vanilla ice cream with warm caramel sauce.. If it wasn't so cold here I'd be craving that now! :P

      Delete
  2. That fondue sounds fabulous! I'm with you...caramel apples are WAY to much apple and not enough caramel. I'm a caramel lover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Another caramel fan! :D Would you believe I ate the rest of the jar with a spoon after I ran out of apples?

      Delete
  3. Love this idea! I love dipping apple slices into caramel but this looks like a much more fun and "sophisticated" way of doing it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it does sound a bit fancy doesn't it? :) I have to say I didn't really feel fancy when I was eating it though.. more like I was going to gain lots and lots of weight! But who could resist caramel?! D:

      Delete
  4. Hey there thanks so much for your comment on my blog! I love caramel/toffee sauce and I love the idea of dipping apples in them.. like Kristi said, this way you can indulge in the caramel and leave the apple as an after thought ;-) Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you for stopping by here as well Johlene! :) And I completely agree with you guys: the more caramel the better!!

      Delete
  5. Sounds delicious--there's nothing better than caramel and apples! If you wanted to experiment more, I've had success dipping apple slices or balls into candy coating first, then dipping that in caramel. (The coating helps keep the caramel from sliding down the apple.) But why would you need to, when you have such a good solution here? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! That's a brilliant idea! I'm definitely going to try that :P A caramel fondue is real nice, but it's a bit hard to hand out ;)

      Delete
  6. oh this is such a good idea, looks fantastic! i might give this a try on halloween :D
    the hobbit kitchen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this sounds better than hard caramel, anyway! Those apples were always so tricky to eat (I felt).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? You know, I really would not know.. I've never had one! But I'm really glad you think my version sounds good! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment