Sweet Spice Mix (Mixed Spice/Pumpkin Pie Spice)

BEST SPICE MIX EVER - Mixed Spice, the way grandma used it - Only pumpkin pie spice you'll ever need -  Heavenly, orgasmic mixed spices - Not your average pie spice!

Just to name a few titles I could've given this recipe. Any references to existing online recipes are completely coincidental. But in stead my recipe will go down in history as: *drums*

Spice Mix

It's good huh? Cuz it's a lot of spices, and we mixed them. So I thought it would work.
(Okay I added sweet because cinnamon calls for sugar. And because we use it mostly in sweet baked goods. Also because Spice Mix is so short, it could be anything. You know, not that sweet spice mix doesn't leave anything to the imagination, but.. oh stop it!)


Last week I shared a recipe on pumpkin pie.. and I told you about some awesome spice-mix I made that I couldn't exactly explain to you in that one recipe. This time I will! Especially now the winter season is coming up, and the autumn season with all its apples and pumpkins asks for a lots of spices as well, this is something you can't miss in your cupboard!

Sweet Spice Mix
1 small spice-jar

2 tablespoons cinnamon
1-3 teaspoons orange rind (1/4-1/2 the peel) *
2 teaspoons coriander
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cardamom

1. Put all ingredients in a jar and shake it!

* You might want to dry the orange peel before chopping it to tiny bits and using it in the mix. Don't bother to much with how much you use. This is the only ingredient (apart from cinnamon) of which "more = better".
** You might want to experiment with the quantities, adding different spices (such as allspice) or omitting spices you dislike. Every country (and every brand within a country) has it's own recipe!

I came up with the recipe above by buying all the ingredients it said on a spice-mix jar I bought from the supermarket. I experimented with the taste and came up with something I liked and you should totally do the same! Just look up some recipes, or ingredients on jars and start mixing, add/substitute a few ingredients and come up with a recipe that is totally your own!!


Now that you've got your own spice-mix.. What do we use it for?

Hah! I could write whole essays on what to do with a -or any- cinnamon-spice mix. Think of apples or pumpkins. Think of cakes, muffins, breads, pies, cookies, candy, pancakes, bread pudding. I don't know..!! Is there anything you CAN'T use this in? Oh, maybe savory food. Because a cinnamon-spice mix calls for sugar. Lots of it.

I hope you guys enjoy the cinnamon season! 

Comments

  1. I just love this, especially the addition of the orange peel! So much better than a store-bought mix! And, since I've been testing loads of apple and pumpkin recipes lately, your timing is PERFECT! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, can I come live with you until you run out of apples and pumpkins? I'll bring a jar of spice mix for you! - Just a few more days until my exams are over and I can start actually using it :P

      Delete

Post a Comment