Turrón blando de almendras

This is one of those recipes that lets you make something super fancy with just a few common ingredients. I've been wanting to try making Turrón ever since I tasted it the first time. I just never did because I thought it would be too difficult. How silly of me.

A 4 ingredient delicacy? Don't mind if I do.


Quite a while ago by now - I went on a trip to Barcelona to visit my sister there. Everywhere you went in Barcelona that could even remotely have something to do with food, would have Turrón. Barcelona, and I believe Spain in general, is proud of it's Turrón.

Traditionally a Christmas desert, you can find it on every corner of the street the whole year through. There are so many different kinds! Some look like nougat, some are fudgy others look more like caramelized nuts or chocolate bars. I mean just look at the different varieties!


I have counted for you and I believe this picture holds 32 different kinds of Turrón!

The Spanish Turrón come in two main varieties: the hard Alicante variety and the soft Jijona variety. The recipe below is a Jijona Turrón. (There was a hint in there: there are more different kinds of Turrón to explore outside of Spain!)

Turrón blando de almendras
1 brownie tin - from Sugar and Spice

3 egg whites
175 grams almond flour
175 grams sugar
175 grams honey

1. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Stir in the almond flour until it becomes a paste. Set aside at room temperature.
2. Melt the sugar into the honey on a medium fire.
3. Bring the honey to a boil. Once it boils, stir in the almond paste and reduce the fire to low straight away.
4. Keep stirring the almost-ready turrón for 10-15 minutes, while the mixture thickens.
5. Once it turned to a thick paste spoon it into a silicon or lined brownie tin (or other shallow tin). Smooth the top with a spatula or wet hands.
6. Leave it to cool and set. Cut into squares and serve!

Try to get a local honey to make this. Mine is from the pine forests on the island of Thassos in Greece - talking about local. In any case, it's the flavour of the honey (and roasted almonds) that really makes this turrón special.


The one sad part about this recipe is the half eggs. This always annoys me - seeing a recipe that requires more egg yolks than whites or only asks for egg whites. What am I going to do with the rest of the egg?!

Well, here's a few options: omelet (add a few more eggs), fried rice (add rice and some chopped vegetables), a quiche (find yourself a recipe for this), pie pastry (you'll need the right kind of recipe for this). Actually, come to think of it - there's quite a few options.

They never come to mind when I need them...

Comments