Chocolate Mousse (without eggs)

Have you ever seen those layered desserts by famous patisseries? I mean, have you ever gazed in awe at those layers of cream, jelly, cake, ganache and mousse and wonder how it looks so amazing? Someone put together 5 different flavours and it would still all make such perfect sense? With Holland being a country of simple cake and an overwhelming amount of cookies, we have a horrible lack of fancy-to-impossible cakes. So I had to make it myself.

So, would you like another chocolate mousse recipe? Everyone knows the world does not have enough chocolate mousse yet right?!

Look at those layers: 
- Chocolate brownie base
- Milk chocolate coffee-flavoured mousse with walnut chunks
- Dark chocolate mousse
- Honey & dark chocolate ganache

You're sold right?

Chocolate Mousse
a 20 cm cakespring - from Cooking with Chocolate

2 sheets of gelatin *
330 grams dark chocolate
250 ml milk (1 cup)
500 ml whipping cream (2 cups)

1. Soften the gelatin in cold water for a few minutes (according to the package).
2. In the meantime melt the chocolate au bain marie or in the microwave.
3. Heat the milk in a pan, wring out the gelatin and let it dissolve in the milk.
4. Once the gelatin is completely dissolved, pour the milk in the bowl of chocolate in 2-3 additions, mixing well in between. Set aside.
5. Whip the cream to soft peaks.
6. Fold the whipped cream with the chocolate and pour into a cake tin lined with baking paper or pour into individually portioned cups.
7. Leave the chocolate mousse to set in the fridge for at least 12 hours.

* If you're using milk chocolate use another sheet of gelatin (3 sheets in total).

I have to say cutting the cake was hell. A (wet) knife slides through the mousse magically, but then I got to the brownie layer. Imagine a really chewy soft brownie: really delicious to eat, but straight-down hell to cut through. And I couldn't mess about or even move the knife, because I'd damage the mousse layers! This part is going to need better planning next time...


In the end I had some unexpected remaking of my apprenticeship reports, so I had to delay this post again. Hopefully this time it's not an empty promise when I say I'm going to post again next week - I'll keep trying!

Comments