Probably Pumpkin Pie

It's officially autumn! You can tell by the mushrooms that are popping out of the ground, the leaves that are changing colours and the cold weather, but most importantly:  I feel like Halloween.

My sister's been looking up crazy ideas from pumpkin cake pops to burnt toast in the shape of a hand and spiderpies (for me to make of course). In the meanwhile I was looking up Halloween traditions such as pumpkin pie and caramel apples.


I chose to bake the one I'm absolutely fan of: pumpkin pie. No, I have to admit I never actually had pumpkin pie. But I really like the taste of pumpkin and I've been craving pumpkin pie every Halloween for years now, so I think I'm allowed to be a fan! And now, the time has finally come to get into my kitchen and create the Pumpkin Pie. (Well, its Probably Pumpkin Pie. I couldn't really know for sure, with never having tasted one before.)

Pumpkin Pie
1 large pie - inspired by Pastry Cook and JoyofBaking

Pastry crust:
200 grams flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
90 grams butter
1 egg yolk
1-3 tablespoons cold water

Pie filling:
450 grams pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons spices *
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pastry crust:
1. Sift the flour with the salt. 
2. Press the butter into the flour until you end up with 'crumbles'. I like to use a fork for this.
3. Add the yolk and the water and work the dough until it's consistency is firm and even. Try to minimize the kneading as heat will change the texture of the pastry.
4. Wrap in foil and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Filling:
5. Lightly beat the eggs. If you made pumpkin puree yourself you might need to sieve it to get rid of the juices and have a slightly thicker consistency.
6. Add all the other ingredients and stir until you have an even batter.

Assembly:
7. Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius or 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
8.  Press the pastry dough into a tin. (Or two. Or many mini's.) Cover it with a baking sheet or aluminium foil and fill the inside (on top of the sheet or foil) with baking beans, dried beans or rice. (You can be creative with this, but it needs to be heavy enough to keep the sheet/foil -and with it the pastry- down and above all not burn in the oven.)
9. Put the tin into the oven for about 10 minutes until the sides start to colour.
10. Take the pastry crust out of the oven, fill with the pumpkin filling and pop in the oven again at 190 degrees Celsius or 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30-40 minutes.
11. Leave to cool a bit and it's ready to serve. With maple syrup and cream please! 

* If you have special pumpkin pie spices in your storage: go for it! If you don't then think of using cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and dried orange shreds. Use at least 1 of the 2 teaspoons for cinnamon. I made my own spice-mix and should be posting that soon!

If you have any pumpkin left: go and Google pumpkin recipes. No, I'm serious! You'll be Amazed and Inspired at what people came up with that includes pumpkin. But if you don't feel very creative and what you have left is less than a handful, then try this: Pumpkin Pie Smoothie (adapted from a Love a fare). Put a handful pumpkin puree in a blender with 1 banana, 1 spoon maple syrup, a dash of cinnamon and enough milk to get the right consistency and blend until smooth(ie).


I have to ask because I'm soso very curious: What are your Halloween (food) traditions? When you google it all you can really find is pumpkin pie and caramel apples and some Irish Barmbrack (which to be honest looks very delicious). I remember celebrating Halloween back in Thailand, but all we really did there was trick-or-treat and I can't remember any caramel apples or pies. Back in Holland we have no Halloween celebrations at all. Well, I have some crazy friends who decide every year that it would be an Awesome Idea if we went and watched horror movies and walk through a dark forbidden forest at night. Is that what you're 'supposed' to do?

Kitty helps me with the maple whipped cream
Please let me know about all the things you do at Halloween and tell me everything about all your Halloweeny foods! Pleasepleaseplease pretty please with cherries on top?

And here's an update with a new recipe!

Pumpkin Pie with a bit of Bite
1 pie - inspired by Good Food and CrumblyandCrispy

1 Probably Pumpkin Pie recipe
1 apple
1 cup dates and mixed nuts
1 tablespoon Oats

1. Chop the apple into chunks and add the apple to the pumpkin filling (step 6).
2. Chop the dates and nuts more or less finely and add the oats. Evenly spread the mix on top of the baked pastry crust (step 10), before you top it with the pumpkin filling.

Picture with courtesy of my sister (Thank you!)

Comments

  1. Wow, this looks really delicious :) I love pumpkin pie !! We don't have any real Halloween traditions here in Germany, but often small children come trick and treating. The best thing about that is, that we buy to much chocolate bars to give them, so there are left overs to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds like such a good excuse to get lots of candy in the house! I can't even use that excuse :( Maybe I can pretend someone MIGHT come by..
      Btw!! I made a second pumpkin pie today: with nuts at the bottom and chunks of apple through the pumpkin batter.. Totally inspired by your carrotcake ;)

      Delete
  2. Now I'm craving pumpkin pie...yum! We don't have any traditions, either...except for a quick dinner because there will be tons of trick or treaters knocking at the door all evening )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I never thought of that actually.. Do they start that early? :P You can always eat half of your treats if you feel like the dinner was a bit too quick ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment